Monday, January 26, 2015

The boss is not always a bad guy...

I have been reading a lot about reasons why people quit their jobs and a few concentrate particularly on the "bosses" not being good managers and not able to motivate their dependants. I am sure there are a few bad bosses, I, myself, had some pretty bad experiences. A psycho boss, another one that told me, when I told him I was leaving because not appreciated, that he never read a single email I sent to him with solution proposals, another one that delegated so much work to me that he could not even attend a meeting because he didn't know what was going on and who was who. However, I have experienced some great managers too and I have made sure they knew that I appreciated their managerial skills. Still I left the companies we worked for. And it was not for money, it was because the companies policies were not particularly made to retain employees and motivate me. Companies fail very often in their policies because they see the employees as the weak side of the contract they have stipulated and the fact that everyone is replaceable, which is true but at a price, is the main principle they abide to. Often, in big organisations it might take a year or more to get someone up to the role and losing a person and adding a new one is a one year step back. Very often people grow in their role and they end up covering more roles. It is very common these days that with staff reduction one ends up covering a full set of positions for unchanged salaries. The reason why people leave is demotivation. This is not necessarily money, there could be lack of attending courses, constant change of roles and governance, blame game playing when someone overloaded fails on one of the tasks but no appreciation for all those s/he accomplished. This is not a money issue but, the only weapon in the hands of the employee is very often asking for more money to make up for all the lack of motivation provided by the company. So, money as the bottom line of all frustration and stress one suffers during the years. But if you are in a position you don't care about money, you don't even ask, you just go. However it still goes beyond me why companies let some good people go and hire sometimes two paying double the salary rather than keeping one motivated and show their appreciation with some extra earning. Anyone in the decision place that can explain, in a constructive and intelligent way, what goes on through the heads of these people?

No comments: